Private Ceramic Handbuilding Coaching
Since discovering my passion for handbuilt ceramics in 2018, I have been through all the phases of learning and teething problems and come out the other side with a huge knowledge and passion for the craft.
I have taught 100's of students over the years in group settings and am now offering my expertise in a bespoke manner.
I believe the lessons I have learned will be of huge benefit for mid-advanced beginners to advanced-intermediate potters who want to raise the bar of their work or need a little extra support to reach the next level.
See below for the ways I could help and also some FAQs.
- Making really beautiful mugs
- How to minimise warping
- Tips to avoid cracks
- How to fix handles
- Advice on creating a succinct series
- Methods to manipulate and create alternative forms from slabs
- Tips to elevate your pieces from good to outstanding
- How to refine pinch pots
- How to make a series
- Advice for pinching big
- Tips for pinching thin
- How to avoid slumping
- Creating a balanced form and weight
- Reducing weight in the base to distribute clay evenly
- How to add a foot
- How to coil and achieve a refined outcome
- How to coil to a desired shape or size
- How to coil vessels inwards (and outwards)
- How to blend coils and achieve a smooth surface
- How to build with coils to achieve the form of your wish (organic or symmetrical)
Decoration & Special Techniques
- Burnishing your pinch or coiled piece
- How to apply inlay technique cleanly
- Creating a showstopping piece using sgraffito
- Using oxides
- Coloured clay & making patterns
- Best practices for application to achieve successful results
- How to avoid drips or running
- Input on making own glazes & what to look for for a chemically stable recipe
Logistics of a Ceramics Studio
- Advise on reclaiming clay / glaze waste
- How to load a kiln economically
- Health & Safety
Who is the private mentoring suitable for?
My mentoring is suitable for anyone who has already began their pottery journey and needs help in a specific area.
I tend to work with potters in the mid/advanced beginners to advanced intermediate spectrum. If you are unsure, please get in touch!
What can you support me with?
Please see the extensive list above for some ideas. If you don't see the topic you are looking for, it is still likely I can support you.
I also enjoy trouble shooting - so if you have a persistant problem which arises, please don't hesitate to reach out and we can overcome the difficulty together.
What are the benefits?
- 1:1 tailored session/s based upon your area of choice
- Personalised demonstrations and granular tips each step of the way.
- Sympathetic encouragement, support and motivation
- Working in a light & airy boutique ceramic studio outside of its' opening hours, so we have the space to ourselves.
What does it cost?
I offer a range of packages starting from 140,00€.
Please be aware depending on your area of consultation, it may be necessary to book 2 x sessions.
- 1 x 90 minute session: 140,00€
- 2 x 90 minute sessions: 260,00€
- 3 x 90 minute sessions: 360,00€
- 4 x 90 minute sessions: 440,00€
Where does the mentoring take place?
The mentoring will take place in my studio in Berlin Kreuzberg:
Mentorships can be given in either english or german languages.
How do I book or find out if this is the right step for me?
To book, please click on the product above and select how many sessions you would like. I will then be in touch within 48 hours to arrange the appointment/s and to send you a questionnaire to complete in order for me to find out how best I can support you.
If you have any questions prior to booking, please contact me.